Here are some ideas I put together for a friend. It’s based on my diagram of the elements of product design.
Solution Space > Surface
- Discipline: Accessibility
- Discipline: Typography
- Course: Fundamentals of Graphic Design - CalArts on Coursera
- Course: Learn UI Design: The Complete Online Video Course
- Idea: immerse yourself in best visual design - Dribbble (with caution) Awwwards, FWA?
- Idea: critique designs of your own and others
- Idea: recreate / remix other people’s ideas
- Idea: try designing things and get feedback from experts
Solution Space > Interaction
- Discipline: Usability and Usability Testing
- Book: Don’t Make Me Think - Steve Krug
- Book: Rocket Surgery Made Easy - Steve Krug
- Discipline: Interaction Design — the patterns depend a bit on platform - web or native and mobile or desktop, learn the patterns for one inside out
- Discipline: service design
- Idea: pay attention to the apps you use - watch other people use apps, observe their struggles and try to explain why
Solution Space > Conceptual modelling
Learn about information architecture. If you have an engineering background you’ll have a advantage here already having to think in terms of data models: objects and relationships.
- Article: OOUX: A Foundation for Interaction Design – A List Apart
- Free unfinished book: Event storming
- Free book: How to make sense of any mess
Solution Space > Product and service strategy
Learn how to decide where to intervene in the experience, what goals to set, and how to prioritise.
- Book: User Story Mapping - Jeff Patton
- Book: Lean UX - Jeff Gothelf
- Book: Continuous Discovery Habits - Teresa Torres
- Article: Jared Spool UX outcomes
- Article: Jared Spool Experience visions
- Discipline: User Research, particularly contextual inquiry.
- Book: Just Enough Research - Erika Hall
- Book: Mental Models - Indi Young
- Book: Practical Design Discovery - Dan Brown
- Book: Mapping Experiences - Jim Kalbach
- Free Book: When Coffee and Kale Compete - Alan Klement
- Book: The Jobs to be done Playbook - Jim Kalbach